- slide 1 of 2
These airplane lesson plans will look at not only the airplane but also the profession of the pilot.Speak to children about what a pilot is and what they do. Teach the students about the different kinds of planes they may fly (small, large, helicopters, etc.) Several coloring pages of various kinds of planes found here.
Read the story about Amelia Earhart here
2. Read a book.
The Little Airplane by Lois Lenski
Sadie the Airmail Pilot by Kellie Strom
I Want to Be a Pilot by Dan Liebman
Amazing Airplanes by Tony Mitton and Ant Parker
Richard Scarry’s A Day at the Airport by Richard Scarry
Have child color picture of a pilot and teach the child that the word Pilot starts with the letter P.
5. Cooking with kids.
Everyone knows that they serve little bags of mixed nuts on airplanes so have the children make up their own concoction of mixed nuts, cereal, raisins, granola, etc. and let them bag it in small plastic baggies. What a fast, affordable and healthy treat!
6. Play the Airplane Game:
Set up a runway and have one student as the pilot and the other student as the air traffic controller.
The pilot will be blindfolded as the air traffic controller tries to get the pilot to "land" safely.
The air traffic controller will use hints such as go two steps left or two steps right, etc. to help the pilot get into the correct landing position.
Great game for the senses!
7. Sing some songs!
8. Making a book.
Finish up the airplane lesson plans by having the children look through magazines to find anything pilot/airplane related. Allow them to cut and paste these pictures onto Pilot Pictures Page. By the end of the unit the children will have various collages of community helpers/workers that they can make into a book. Enjoy this activity.
Community Helpers Lesson Plans: Units of Study for Labor Day
- A Unit of Study Introducing Community Helpers
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Astronaut
- Activities for the Community Helper: The Baker
- Teaching Kids About the Community Helper: The Farmer
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Firefighter
- Labor Day Lesson Plan: The Police Officer
- Activities to Teach Kids About Doctors and Nurses
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Postal Worker Activity
- Airplane Lesson Plans: The Pilot
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Teacher
- Review Community Helpers & Hold a Career Day at School