- slide 1 of 1
On the last day of this two-week lesson plan unit, you will go over the various things the students have learned during the past two weeks.
1. Hold a career day at school! Try to have people from each profession come in during the last day to talk about their profession. Maybe mothers, fathers, or aunt and uncles of the students can volunteer. During this question and answer time allow the students to first state what they know about the profession, then allow the volunteer to speak about what they do.
2. Have the children speak about their favorite lesson during this unit. Why was this their favorite lesson? Perhaps one of their family members is in this line of work, such as a mom or dad? What was their least favorite lesson and why? If they could choose a job to never do, what would it be and why?
3. Speak about how men and women can do the same job. (Men can be nurses, Women can be doctors, etc.) Is anyone in their family or friends of family in a job which is not “stereotypical" Also talk about how many people refer to “mailmen" as Postal Workers or Mail Carriers now.
4. Have the children speak about what they want to be when they grow up. Why do they want to choose this profession? Before the unit started, did they want to be something else? Did the lessons change their mind?
5. A great opportunity after this unit would be to take a field trip to any of the places of work that were discussed. Some good ideas would be to visit a post office, an airport, a hospital, a police station or even another school! Take a trip down to another teacher’s classroom!
6. Tell the students what you wanted to be when you were little and why you chose to be a teacher.
This Curriculum will help the students understand and realize that there are plenty of community helpers out there and every job is of importance! The career day at school and the field trips can especially be great hands on learning experiences and allow for the students to get to really know each profession.
Community Helpers Lesson Plans: Units of Study for Labor Day
- A Unit of Study Introducing Community Helpers
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Astronaut
- Activities for the Community Helper: The Baker
- Teaching Kids About the Community Helper: The Farmer
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Firefighter
- Labor Day Lesson Plan: The Police Officer
- Activities to Teach Kids About Doctors and Nurses
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Postal Worker Activity
- Airplane Lesson Plans: The Pilot
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Teacher
- Review Community Helpers & Hold a Career Day at School