- slide 1 of 5
primary study in science for second grade is about the natural world. The educator’s responsibility is to foster the student’s curiosity about the world around them. Basic science lessons for second graders include lessons focusing around the ocean, rainforest, solar systems, the use of simple machines and the study of animals, plants and trees. Students may experiment with electricity, learn about the Earth’s history including an in-depth look at dinosaurs. Children this age learn the meaning of scientific vocabulary such as extinction, matter, electricity and environment.
Below are lesson plans to cover all the major areas of curricula for second grade science study. Lesson plans on trees, plants, the rainforest, oil spills, electricity, the Earth's rotation and more can be found right here on Bright Hub. So dig in! Kids will love learning about the world around them while participating in these fun, engaging science lesson plans.
- Spring Trees Lesson Plan
- Winter Trees: Winter Lesson Plans
- Summer Lesson Plan: All About a Tree in Summer
- The Layers of the Rainforest: A Science Lesson
- An Elementary Lesson on Plant Parts That We Eat
- An Oil Spill Lesson Plan to Teach Younger Students
- The Carrot Seed: A Lesson Plan for Primary Grade Children
- Snowflake Science Lesson and Theme with Snowflake Bentley
- A Second Grade Lesson Plan on Properties of Solids
- Science Projects for Second Grade: Create a Fossil Lesson Plan
- Production Lesson Plans for Second Grade Science
- Earth Lesson Plans on Rotation and Revolution
- What is Static Electricity: An Elementary Lesson Plan
- Moving Molecules: A Lesson Plan on the Three States of Matter
- slide 2 of 5
Math skills become more complex in second grade and continue to build upon what the student has previously learned. At this age, children are beginning to understand fractions and practice estimating measurements. They learn to compare numerals using graphing and are able to add higher amounts of money including the one and five-dollar bills.
Bright Hub experts have cooked up some exciting, math lesson plans for second grade classrooms. Learn math with Clifford the Big Red Dog, introduce children to geometry through art, and practice fractions in a classroom that looks and smells like a pizzeria. We also have activities and lessons that will make regrouping a breeze, graphing plans and much more. Kids have never had so much fun doing math.
- Pizza With Pizzazz Lesson Plan
- Clifford the Big Red Dog Learning About Math Lesson Plan
- Thanksgiving Math Lesson: Classroom Vote
- Thanksgiving Math Lesson: Fraction Pies
- An Elementary School Geometry Art Lesson
- Fraction Lesson Plans: Teaching Equal and Unequal Parts
- Second Grade Math Lesson Plan: Regrouping Activity
- Thermometer Lesson Plan: How to Use a Thermometer
- Favorite Candy Fun: A Graphing Lesson Plan
- Math Lesson Plan: Measuring Liquid
- Second Grade Math: How to Use a Ruler
- Counting Money Lesson Plans: Making Change Activity Without Using Math Worksheets
- The Hundred Dresses Lesson
- Second Grade Weights and Balance Math: How to Make a Balance
- slide 3 of 5
Social Studies and Health
Science and social studies are closely related during the primary years. The majority of study focuses around the body, nutrition, proper hygiene, physical development and the dangers of smoking and other drugs. Students in second grade should learn a variety of safety rules for school and at home.
Here are several different lesson plans on the items listed above and more to include in your social studies and health curriculum this year. Learn about the Wright Brothers, patriotism, the rainforest and Africa. Keep children safe and healthy with lesson plans about nutrition, spreading germs, train safety and crossing the street. It's all right here at Bright Hub Education.
- Shared Reading: A Lesson Plan to Introduce Patriotism in the Classroom
- Lesson Plans: The Wright Brothers
- Teacher Lesson Plans: Unit Lesson Plans Africa
- The Great Kapok Tree: A Rainforest Lesson
- Lesson Plans on Rainforest Products
- Social Studies Plants Lesson Plans for Second Grade
- The Polar Express: A Lesson on Diversity
- Safety Lesson Plan About Street Crossing
- Bread and Jam for Frances: A Lesson Plan for Picky Eaters
- My Pyramid Lesson Plan: What's in Your Lunch?
- Train Safety Lessons: Make a Candy Train
- Elementary Health Lesson Plan: Cover Your Mouth
- Have Fun with Clifford the Big Red Dog Learning About Manners
- Have Fun with Clifford the Big Red Dog Learning about Good Deeds
- Teacher Lesson Plans: Learning about Self-Control with Clifford Books
- Creative Lesson Plan Ideas: Putting Students in “Real-Life" Situations
- Interactive Lesson Plan on Good Study Skills for Elementary Students
- slide 4 of 5
Language: Reading and Writing Lesson Plans
In second grade, the main objective is to instill a love of reading in your students so they will become a lifelong reader. Children should be able to identify all the parts of the book. At this age, children should know the role the illustrator and author play and identify the story elements. Educators should begin to teach students how to use the encyclopedia and dictionary. Reading comprehension continues to grow as children understand what is being read and can relate it to real life.
Reading and writing go hand in hand. Second grade writing should start to become fluent with correct punctuation. Writers start to understand contractions, suffixes, prefixes, verb tenses, synonyms, antonyms and compound words and use them in their writing. "Sylvester and the Magic Pebble," "The Little House," "The Very Busy Spider" and "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly Said the Sloth," are a few of the wonderful, reading and writing lesson plans children will love that we have prepared for you. We also have a variety of lesson plans to teach verb tenses, spelling, prepositions and word sorts. Open the door to reading and writing success with these great language lesson plans found right here at Bright Hub.
- Thanksgiving Day Lesson: Interactive Writing
- Creating a Personal Word Wall: Lesson Plan for Early Readers
- Lesson Ideas for Teaching The Little House, by Virginia Burton
- Literacy Lesson Plan: "Slowly, Slowly, Slowly Said the Sloth"
- Think Aloud: You are Special Lesson Plan
- Myths Lesson Plans for the Elementary Classroom
- Lesson Plans Using Sylvester and the Magic Pebble
- Writing Sentences Second Grade; Second Grade Lesson
- Teacher Lesson Plans: The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
- Elementary School Activities and Lessons for Teaching Prepositions
- Get Moving! Past Tense Verb Lesson for Second Graders
- Spelling Lesson Plans Using Word Sorts
- Teaching Prepositions: Kindergarten to Third
- Teaching Personal Narratives: First and Second Grade
- slide 5 of 5
Music and Art Lesson Plans
Second grade curriculum wouldn't be complete without adding a few music and art lesson plans to the list compiled here at Bright Hub. Children should gain an appreciation of music and art while creating 3D portraits of themselves, making gorgeous pastel spider webs, and singing fun, songs.
- Elementary Music Lesson Plans and Resources: Monthly Classroom Songs and Music Activities
- An Op Art and Art Lessons
- Elementary Art Lesson Plans: 3-D Picasso Self-portraits
- Elementary Art Lesson Plans for Fall: Pastel Spider Webs
- Elementary Art Lesson Plan: Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
- Teacher Lesson Plans: Tale of Jeremy Fisher Activities
We hope you enjoyed our huge list of lesson plans that stretch clear across the curriculum. For more exciting crafts, activities and thematic units, check out our other guides located here at Bright Hub.
- Family Education, Language Arts in Second Grade.
- Author's own experience