Materials and Lesson Preparation
In the Wednesday or Day 3 section of this series on spiders, your class will be learning more about spiders, there are a few things that you will need to be able to present this lesson to its fullest potential.
- The Very Busy Spider by, Eric Carle
- Golf balls (one for each child)
- Paper plate
- Washable white paint
- Wet wipes
- Black construction paper (one for each child)
- Pre-cut spiders
- Note cards
Circle Time Discussion
- Review spider facts and webs.
- Review pictures and learn the names of a few spiders.
- Read the story The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
- Discuss the events in the story.
Art Activity – Make Golf Ball Spider Webs
This project promotes creativity and helps build fine motor skills.
- Instruct children to dip golf balls into dish of white paint.
- Children should be prepared to get their fingers covered in paint. (Provide wet wipes to allow them to wipe their fingers.)
- Instruct the children to roll the paint covered golf ball onto the black paper, making a web design on the paper.
- When paint is dried, encourage children to draw spiders on the web.
You will need the 2 sets of pre-cut spiders for this activity.
- Write numbers 0-9 on one set.
- Write numbers 1-9 on the second set.
- Instruct the children to put two spiders together, then identify the two digit number that is created.
Take the descriptive list from the previous (Day 2) language skill lesson.
- Write some of the words onto note cards.
- Arrange the note cards face down.
- Play a game of charades with the children.
- Instruct one child at a time to choose a card, assist the children when reading the action to be performed.
- Encourage the children to guess the spider actions.
- Note – Another way to play the game is to allow the child who guesses correctly to be the next person to choose a card.
Additional Suggested Reading
- Miss Spider’s Tea Party by David Kirk
- Spiders by Gail Gibbons
- Eensy, Weensy Spider by Joanne Oppenheim
This post is part of the series: Kindergarten Harvest Lesoon Plans: Spiders
- Day One of a Week Long Spider Unit for Kindergarteners
- Day Two of the Spider Unit – All About Spider Webs
- "A Very Busy Spider" Lesson – Day 3 of a Week Long Spider Theme
- Kindergarten Week Long Spider Unit: Day Four – Make a Pinata
- Have a Spider Party! Day Five of a Week-Long Kindergarten Unit