Materials and Preparation
To be able to present this lesson plan in its fullest capacity, you should collect the following items prior to the start of class:
- Reproducible picture of a spider web
- Bug stickers
- Black construction paper
- Yarn cut into at least 4″ pieces
- Washable white paint
- Note cards
- Scrap pieces of yarn
Circle Time Discussion
- Review spider web information.
- Place a picture of the spider web somewhere in the circle time area.
- As the children come to the circle time area, have them try to find the hidden spider web.
- Once it is found, have the children sit around it.
- Ask: “If you found a spider in the web, what should you do?”
- While sitting around the web, place bug stickers on the floor.
- Have the children choose a bug sticker and stick it onto the spider web.
- Explain: “That is how spiders help the earth.”
Art Activity – Make String Webs
- Provide each child with a black piece of construction paper and a small amount of white paint.
- Give each child a piece of yarn at least 4″ long.
- Instruct the children to dip yarn into the paint and sweep the string in a back and forth motion, creating a web design.
- Before the paint dries, sprinkle glitter over the web.
- On note cards, draw a series of shapes, give each child at least five cards each.
- Instruct the students to trace each shape with liquid glue.
- Children should cover the glue with yarn.
- Allow to dry.
- Ask the children to describe a spider. Record descriptive words on a chart.
- Note – Answers will be used for a project in tomorrow’s lesson, so be sure to save the words!
- If possible, have a live tarantula in a jar for the children to closely examine. Ask children to describe its looks, movement and its size.
- Be Nice To Spiders by Margaret Graham
- The Lady And The Spider by Faith McNulty
This post is part of the series: Kindergarten Harvest Lesoon Plans: Spiders
This is the first of a series of spider lesson plans created for the kindergarten classroom.
- Day One of a Week Long Spider Unit for Kindergarteners
- Day Two of the Spider Unit – All About Spider Webs
- "A Very Busy Spider" Lesson – Day 3 of a Week Long Spider Theme
- Kindergarten Week Long Spider Unit: Day Four – Make a Pinata
- Have a Spider Party! Day Five of a Week-Long Kindergarten Unit