This part of our study series on the Kite Runner looks at study questions for chapters 19-25. For earlier chapter questions please click on the following links:
Chapter 19 Study Guide Questions
- What was the name of Amir’s cab driver?
- What did Amir have to wear?Why?
- What is a burqa? Pakol?
- Why was the cab driver so rude to Amir?
- Why didn’t the women make eye contact?
- How did Farid’s brother Wahid treat Amir?
- What did Amir give the children? Why?
- Describe Amir’s dream. What is the significance?
- Amir planted money under the mattress just like he did twenty-six years before.What is the significance of this?
- Why is Farid treating Amir differently now?
- Why were “fathers a rare commodity in Afghanistan”? (p. 245)
- What advice did Farid give Amir regarding the Taliban?
- What did Amir learn about his mother?From whom?
- Why are children with mothers but not fathers considered orphans in Afghanistan? Why can’t their mothers take care of them?
- Why did Farid become so upset with the orphanage director?
- What was Zaman’s excuse for his behavior?
- What would you do if you were in Zaman’s position?
- Why were the houses in Amir’s old neighborhood still in good shape?
- What did Amir need to see the most at his old house?
- What made Amir stop laughing and think that maybe Afghanistan was a hopeless place?
- What was the half time show for the soccer game?
- What crime did the couple commit?
- What was their punishment?
- Who was the executioner?
- What does Amir notice about the “John Lennon’s” arm?
- What did the “John Lennon” notice about Amir?
- What has happened to Sohrab?
- Who did “John Lennon” turn out to be?
- Assef said Amir could take Sohrab on one condition.What was that condition and why?
- What did Assef tell his guards when he asked them to leave?
- What happened?
- Why did Amir laugh?
- Explain how everything came full circle.Was it ironic?
- Why did Amir tell Sohrab the truth about his relationship with Hassan?
- What did Amir promise Sohrab?
- What did Sohrab agree to do?
- What steps did Amir have to take in order to bring Sohrab home?
- Describe Amir’s injuries.
- Which of Amir’s injuries was ironic?Why?
- What did Sohrab say when Amir introduced himself?
- Why do you think Sohrab didn’t want to talk?
- Why did Rahim Khan say Baba was so hard on Amir growing up?Do you think that is fair?
- Why do you think Rahim Khan wants to die alone?What would you want if you were in his situation?
- Why did Amir begin crying with Farid said, “For you a thousand times over” (305)?
- Where are John and Betty Caldwell?
- Why do you think Rahim Khan lied?
- Where do you think Sohrab belongs?
- What did Amir mean when he said, “Islamabad was the city Kabul could have become someday” (311).
- How much did Amir give Farid?
- Where did Sohrab go?
- Amir remembers someone once saying, “There are a lot of children in Afghanistan, but little childhood” (318).What does that mean?
- Why does Sohrab think he might go to hell?
- What did Andrews at the American embassy say?
- Why do you think Sohrab took such longs baths every night?
- What does the immigration lawyer say may be Amir’s best shot at adopting Sohrab?
- What happened to Sohrab?
- Why did Amir pray for the first time since Baba died?
- What was the last thing Sohrab said for almost a year? Why?
- What did Amir tell his family about Sohrab?
- What gave Amir a glimpse of hope for Sohrab’s future?
- What is the significance of Amir telling Sohrab, “for you, a thousand times over”?
This post is part of the series: The Kite Runner: A Curriculum Unit
This series focuses on The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini as a curriculum unit and as a tool to promote independent thinking. This curriculum unit will include study guide questions as well as project ideas and lesson plans for the novel.
- Wake Up Your Students With "The Kite Runner"
- Discussion Questions for "The Kite Runner" Chapters 1-10
- The Kite Runner Novel Study Guide: Chapters 11-18
- "The Kite Runner" Novel Study Guide: Chapters 19-25
- Get High School Students Collaborating Through Literature Circles