This lesson is a continuation of a series of harvest lesson plans about the Indian People and their contribution to the first Thanksgiving. Here are the things that you will need for the lesson today:
- Short stick or dowel with string (a fishing pole)
- Small magnet at the end of the string
- Pre-cut fish with paper clips on each
- Salt boxes or oatmeal containers
- Construction paper
- Assortment of colorful craft feathers
Circle Time Discussion
Review Native American facts.
Review terms and meanings.
Look at and discuss the pictures of Indian People and their homes.
Explain to the children that Native Americans have celebrations called "pow-wows" where they worship, play drums, and dance.
Ask the children: If they were to have a pow-wow to celebrate something, what would they celebrate?
Native American Drums
Provide each child with a salt box or oatmeal container.
Instruct the children to measure, cut, and glue a piece of construction paper around the box or container.
When glue is dry, instruct the children to decorate their drum using symbols, shapes and designs.
Walk around to each child's project and using a single hole puncher, punch two holes in the box, on opposite sides from one another.
Instruct children to tie the yarn in the holes to create a handle for the drum.
Provide an assortment of colorful craft feathers.
Make addition and subtraction problems using the feathers.
On each fish, draw a picture symbol.
Children should take turns fishing, and explaining what word the picture symbolizes.
This activity enhances gross motor skills and following instructions.
(children should to the tune of "Are You Sleeping")
Native American, Native American
Play your drum, play your drum
Show me how to…run (practice gross motor skills).
Sing the song over, each time end with a different movement. (hop, clap, walk, skip, jump…)
This post is part of the series: Kindergarten Harvest Lesson Plans: Indians
- Kindergarten Native Americans Lessons: Monday
- Kindergarten Native American Lesson: Tuesday
- Wednesday in Native Americans Kindergarten Unit
- Native Americans & The First Thanksgiving Kindergarten Lesson: Thursday
- The First Thanksgiving: Cornucopia & Native American Activites For Kindergarten Students