In today's activities, the class will learn more about turkeys and the first Thanksgiving. Here is a list of things that you will need to present this lesson:
- Construction paper
- Note cards
- Book, The Thanksgiving Story, by Alice Dalgliesh
- Pre-cut feathers
Circle Time Discussion
- Read the book "The Thanksgiving Story" to the class.
- Discuss the story.
- Compare the first Thanksgiving celebration to how we celebrate it today.
- What do we have for Thanksgiving that the Pilgrims didn't have?
- What did the Pilgrims eat that we do not eat today?
Art: Hand Print Turkeys
No Thanksgiving unit is complete without this basic hand print project.
- Allow children to choose a color of construction paper.
- Instruct them to trace their hand prints on the paper.
- Decorate the hand prints as turkeys, by using crayons or markers.
Math Skills: Missing Feather
- On pre-cut feathers, write numbers 1- 30.
- Display the feathers in a numeric sequence, skipping a number.
- Instruct the children to identify the missing number.
- Example: 12,13,15,16…what's missing?
On note cards, write each child's recipe for cooking a turkey.
Instruct the children to give step-by-step directions of the cooking process. Give the cards to the parents so they can enjoy the children's ideas.
Activity: Turkey Hunt
- Seven children (these are the Pilgrims) stand up in a line, shoulder to shoulder, facing the other children.
- The other children (the turkeys) cover their eyes with their hands so they cannot see.
- Each of the seven tiptoe around the other children, taps one on the head and returns to the line.
- When all seven children have tapped a child and returned to the line, instruct the children to open their eyes.
- Each child is given a turn to guess which Pilgrim tapped him or her.
- The first seven children who guess correctly will find a place in line and the game will start again.
Suggested Additional Reading
Giving Thanks by Rita Walsh
Disney's: Winnie The Pooh's Thanksgiving by Bruce Talkington
This post is part of the series: Kindergarten Harvest Lesson Plans: Turkeys
- Kindergarten Teaching Unit on Turkeys & Thanksgiving: Lesson One
- Kindergarten Unit on Thanksgiving: Day 2
- Kindergarten Unit on Thanksgiving & Harvest: Day 3
- Preparation & Celebration: Thanksgiving Unit for Kindergarten, Days 4 & 5