Define what environment modification is.
- Research information about this topic.
- Relate the idea of environment modification to present world issues.
II Group Dynamics
Divide the class in groups of 5. For each group ask the students to assign a researcher, a reporter, a scribe, a news feeder and an artist.
- The researcher will be the one to lead the group during the research part, including finding references and resources.
- The reported will be the one to present the group outpur to the class during the presentation.
- The scribe will be the one to write all the details and information that the group has researched.
- The news feeder will be the one to select the focus of the group's output.
- The artist will be the one to plan out the poster that group will do.
A. Before Research: Predicting
Each group will be given a concept map. For 5 to 10 minutes, allow the group to brainstorm some ideas.
Observe the role that each member of the group is assigned.
B. During Research: Checking Predictions
After the allotted time, instruct the students to conduct some mini-research in the library. Use the guide questions below for research:
- What is the Environment Modification Convention?
- Where and when did it happen?
- What are the reasons for the convention?
- Give some agreements that the participating countries entered into.
- As a group discuss possible benefits as well as disadvantages.
Allot around 30 minutes for the students to do and polish their research. At the end of the research period, each group must create a poster that reflects the things they have researched on. This poster shall be used as a visual aid during the presentation.
C. After Reseach: Presentation and Clarifying Predictions
Using their poster, each group will be given 2-3 minutes to present their research in class. After reporting, the groups shall go back to their concept map. They will cross out the ideas that are not related or irrelevant to the topic. Then they will create a paragraph about environment modification using the words that they did not delete. These should be decided as a group. This output can also be used as an individual assessment of their understanding of the topic.
D. Applying Research: Evaluating the Concept
At this stage, the students should have a clearer idea what environment modification is. Each student can now make his own decision about its value or lack of it through an informal and short debate.
The premise of the debate is the current problem of the world: global warming. The issue would be: Should world leaders resort to environment modification to aid the world today?
E. Enrichment Activities:
- Read Lois Lowry's "The Giver." Write a reflection on how the author presented a modified environment.
- Research more on the scientific methods of environmental modification.