- slide 1 of 2
Multiple Choice -- 3 points each.
1. Who was the first character to die?
a) Marston c) Lombard
b) Blore d) Wargrave
2. Who was the villain -- the true U.N. Owen?
a) Wargrave c) Isaac Morris
b) Lombard d) Blore
3. What was going on his personal life to make him set up this scheme?
a) divorce c) disease
b) loss of career d) cruelty to animals
4. What animal was Justice Wargrave compared to?
a) wolf c) wallaby
b) tortoise d) shark
5. What animal was Philip Lombard compared to?
a) cheetah c) tortoise
b) kangaroo d) wolf
6. Who was Vera “guilty" of permitting to die?
a) Hugo c) Mrs. Rogers
b) Cyril d) Edward Seton
7. Which person on the island sent his wife’s lover to his death?
a) General Macarthur c) Rogers
b) Philip Lombard d) Justice Wargrave
8. Who was Beatrice Wilson?
a) Emily Brent’s sister c) the maid on the island
b) Vera Claythorne’s roommate d) Emily Brent’s former maid
9. Who had Justice Wargrave sentenced to death?
a) Landor c) Seton
b) Armitage d) Pacman Jones
10. What had Blore done to earn his place on the island?
a) murdered 21 tribesmen c) committed perjury
b) shot a pedestrian d) watched too much of “The Hills"
11. What was the Rogers’ “crime"?
a) sending a boy to drown c) stealing from a bank
b) committing perjury d) not giving their employer medicine
12. Which person ran over two small children in a car?
a) Vera c) Blore
b) Emily Brent d) Marston
13. Who was Isaac Morris?
a) U.N. Owen’s agent c) the secret murderer
b) the boat pilot d) the train conductor
14. How did he die?
a) suicide c) hit by a train
b) poisoned d) hit with a clock
Key: A, A, C, B, D, B, A, D, C, C, D, D, A, B
- slide 2 of 2
The judge lists three clues in his confession. What are they? (14 points)
Answer: Edward Seton was really guilty, so the judge hadn't committed murder like the others had. Armstrong's death is the one associated with the "red herring" -- a metaphor for a trick, and so his death should have raised eyebrows, and the murder wound on the judge's forehead -- what he calls the "brand of Cain."
Which clue should have been the easiest for the police to notice? Why? (14 points)
Answer: According to the judge, since the police knew of Seton's guilt, they should have looked at the judge first.
Make a list of the characters in the order they should have died, in your opinion -- from least guilty to most guilty. Write a ½-page essay explaining your logic in the list. (30 points)