2. After reading this book ask the children what they have learned from this book and what they know now about orchestras. Ask if they know of any famous composers or musicians such as Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven.
3. Play the Classical CD you have chosen for the class. As new instruments enter the song ask children if they recognize which instrument it is.
4. Introduce the arts & crafts/ musical instrument you will be making with the class. Each student will get an empty container (a coffee can works well & you can ask children to bring them in from home) Have children decorate construction paper, which you will help the students cut and paste to the can.
5. Place dried beans or rice in cans and cover (make sure students brought in coffee can covers). Now let the kids shake, shake ,shake! They have made themselves instruments!
6. Ask them:
- What sound the new instrument is making?
- What should this instrument be called?
- Does this sound like any instrument we read about or heard on the CD?
7. Let the CD play as the children are doing the arts & crafts.
This lesson plan will explore what the children know about music and also teach them new material about music, especially classical music and instruments in the orchestra.
Read more about The Importance of Music in the Kindergarten Classroom.