Prepare For Your Reading Buddy
If you are pairing the students in your class with students of a younger grade level, it is necessary to prepare them. This event can be a language arts assignment and therefore can be used to earn a grade or points. Discuss with your students that they are the role models and need to take their assignment seriously. They must treat the little ones with respect and plan the lesson well to maintain control.
Here is a list to help them prepare:
1. Choose a book from the library that you think your buddy will enjoy. Try to pick something that is also of interest to you.
2. Read the book through one time. Think of questions that you may ask your buddy. Read it again a few more times to be familiar and comfortable with the book.
3. Bring a paper bag or cloth tote bag to school for a Story Sack. Put the book in the sack.
4. Gather three items to put in the sack that somehow relate to the book. For example, you may have a map that shows the setting of the story.
5. Write three specific comprehension questions on a piece of paper that you will ask your buddy after the story is read. Put that in the sack.
6. **Optional if time allows** Provide a simple craft that supports the premise of the book.
Complete this follow-up assignment after meeting with your reading buddy. Use this form (click here) and submit it to your teacher.