How to Honor the Flag
In order to celebrate Flag Day, it is important to know a few guidelines when respecting the flag. Here are five guidelines every American should know when celebrating Flag Day--or perhaps handling a flag.
1. The proper way to discard a worn, torn or dirty flag is to burn it. Never throw the flag in the garbage, as this would be a sign of disrespect.
2. The flag should be used solely for its display purposes. Never use it for clothing, decoration or drapery.
3. Make sure to take care of the flag and never put it in a situation where it can become easily damaged or torn.
4. Keep the flag in its original state and never add anything in order to enhance the flag. For example, do not add any additional stars to the flag as this would be disrespectful.
5. Take down the flag in case of severe weather, as this would avoid having the flag potentially damaged.
Flag Day is to honor America's flag, which represents the freedom America possesses today. Remember to celebrate every June 14 by displaying and honoring the American flag.