I show students another application of electron behavior after we have completed the unit. NOVA has a good video on Fireworks, but it is lengthy and it requires that you secure a copy. An alternative is to use a video posted on TeacherTube. This Fireworks Video is an example of the quality and educational value the website has to offer.
Here are some questions you may print off and have students answer as they view the video:
1. What is the basis of all fireworks?
A: Gunpowder is the basis of all fireworks.
2. How can we change the color of a firework?
A: Adding a metal salt changes the color.
3.What change does adding metal powder to a firework make?
A: It adds sparks and a flittering effect.
4. What are whistlers and screamers?
A. They are noises from different fireworks.
5. How is flash powder different than gunpowder?
A: Flash powder is more violent.
6. What color and noise did the scientists predict for the dissected firework?
A: They predicted that red stars would be followed by whistles.
7. Were the scientists correct in their prediction?