Here are some activities to learn to include in your preschool lesson plan for recognizing the letter Aa:
1. Use a baking tray with edges or a pie pan . Put salt in the pan. Students can write the letter Aa with their finger. Say “a" each time they trace.
2. Paint Aa using a bright color on a large sheet of paper at the easel. Say “a" each time they trace.
3. Make Aa with playdoh.
4. With children’s bodies make the letter A on the floor with three students. Use two students for the lower case a.Time to giggle!
5. Look at everyone’s nametags and find all the a’s. Does anyone’s name begin with A?
6. Give everyone a picture book. Can you find any a’s on the cover of the book?
7. Be detectives! Go on a hunt for the letter a around the room and down the hallway.
8. Give each student a white envelope with the letter Aa on the front. Homework assignment: Cut out 5 examples of the letter Aa from the newspaper or magazines and bring them to school in the envelope. Then make a giant collage of the letter a on a poster board. Make sure students know they should never cut a magazine, newspaper or book without permission. A letter should go home asking for the parent to assist the child with the assignment.
9. On a nice day, give all students a fat paintbrush and some water and have them paint the letter a on the playground or sidewalk. Say the letter “a" as you paint.
10. Everyone stand. With teacher’s back to the class make the letter Aa in the air as students do the same.Say “a" each time they trace. Get your whole body into it!
11. Make a block letter A. Put glue on it. Have students fill in the space with cereal, or other small objects.
12. Make cookies in the shape of the a. Yummy! Learning by tasting is good!
13. Spread file cards all over the floor in the room. Put the letter A on the same number of cards as the number of students in your class. Put other letters on the remaining cards. Teacher says "GO" and students walk quickly around the room till they find a card with the letter A. The student stays in that place and holds the card and says "A!" Wait till everyone finds an A.