- slide 1 of 6
The Importance of Teaching Children Health
With child obesity rates and juvenile diabetes continually raising it is more important than ever to keep preschoolers healthy with health themes, lessons and activities. Teachers and parents can provide education on the importance of eating healthy, exercise, proper hygiene, controlling emotions and taking care of your teeth. In addition educators and caregivers should make kids aware of the dangers of unhealthy behaviors such as smoking, drugs and alcohol. Students should learn that they are responsible for making healthy choices and aware of the dangers of inappropriate behaviors.
Teaching children how to stay healthy, happy and beautiful is easy with these fun activities, lessons and games that will put a pretty smile on your student's face. These lessons for preschoolers focus on diet and nutrition, how to take care of our body and teeth, how to eliminate germs which prevent us from becoming ill and more.
- slide 2 of 6
Dental Health Lessons and Crafts
Teaching young children proper dental hygiene is crucial to promote lifelong dental health habits. It is normal for some children to be reluctant to brush their teeth. Early educators can take the chore out of brushing and make it fun by providing electric or musical toothbrushes at school and planning exciting lessons, activities and songs that encourage healthy dental hygiene routines.
Bright Hub experts have put together some interactive, engaging dental health activities that children will really sink their teeth into. Use a hard-boiled egg to demonstrate how brushing removes stains from our teeth, write a letter to the tooth fairy, sing songs and create beautiful artwork with a toothbrush to keep children's smile white and beautiful with these terrific lessons.
- Dental Health Care Month in Preschool
- Taking Care of Your Teeth: A Dental Lesson for Pre-K Students
- All About Your Teeth: Preschool Lessons
- Preschool Teeth Projects for Good Dental Health
- Teeth Crafts for Preschool Students
- Clean Teeth Craft for Toddlers
- A Dental Unit for Preschool Students
- Win the Brushing Battle: Teaching Your Preschooler How to Care for Their Teeth
- Dentist Books for Toddlers to Read
- slide 3 of 6
Keep Those Germs Away
Educating children on the importance of proper hygiene to prevent germs and infections from attacking the body will reduce the number of sick children in your classroom this flu season. Teaching students the relationship between germs and illness is vital for kids to understand why bathing and washing their hands are important factors to staying healthy.
"Go away ugly, nasty, germs and don't come back!" is what the preschoolers in your classroom will be saying after reading books about germs and watching bacteria grow on a potato. Teachers can also find cute songs and finger-plays below that reinforce proper hygiene, hand washing techniques and even how to make soap that will keep your classroom clean and germ free.
- Germs Make Me Sick": Preschool Health Lesson Plans for the Classroom
- Teaching Preschool Children About Germs
- Make Learning Hygiene Fun For Your Preschooler
- Comprehensive Preschool Lesson Plan on Personal Hygiene
- Germy Potato Experiment
- Clean Up! Making Soap In The Preschool Class
- Teaching Toddler Hand Washing
- Early Childhood Safety Activities: Bath Time Safety
- Sing Out Loud with these Toddler Proper Hygiene songs
- A Wealth of Health Poems
- slide 4 of 6
Healthy Eating Activities, Games and Crafts
Eating a balanced diet and nutritional foods is an essential part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Poor diet can lead to obesity and chronic diseases such as diabetes and heart disease. Children need to be taught healthy eating habits at an early age so in the future they will continue make good food choices on their own and live a long healthy life.
Playing restaurant, making a healthy food collage and the shrunken watermelon experiment are just a glimpse of activities to help teach your preschoolers the importance of eating right and staying hydrated. In addition kids will love tossing bean bags, running races, making puzzles and creating crafts associated with nutritious, delicious food.
- Teach Your Preschool Children Health Activities and Habits
- Nutrition Fun and Healthy Snacks for Preschoolers
- Preschool Theme Healthy Body: Health and Nutrition Lesson Plan
- Preschool Lesson Plan: The Food Pyramid
- Food Pyramid Crafts: Teach Young Children to Eat Healthy
- MyPyramid Fun and Games For Kids
- Preschool Lesson Plan for Healthy Eating
- What's for Breakfast? A Lesson on Nutritious Foods
- Nutritious Crafts for Early Childhood Students
- Food Bulletin Board Ideas for Preschool Teachers
- Healthy Food That Keeps Kids Hydrated in the Summer
- slide 5 of 6
The Body and Mind: Physical and Emotional Health
Understanding the body and how it works is an important part of health education. Preschoolers will learn about their body and how to keep it fit and healthy by getting plenty of exercise while participating in these physical fitness activities and lessons. Emotional health is just as important as physical health. Preschool is the perfect time to teach children about feelings and how to exhibit self-control. Students who are taught to control their emotions are more likely to get along with peers and submit to authority. Listed below are several lessons, songs and activities on feelings and emotions.
Creating a pumpkin feeling book, playing charades, and calming exercises are just a few of the activities listed below that will raise preschoolers self-esteem, help them identify and control emotions and get along with their peers. In addition we have fun games and activities to keep kids moving.
- Physical Fitness: Fun Ideas for a Preschool Classroom Theme
- Preschool Lesson on Physical Activity
- Early Childhood Human Body Lesson Plans
- Preschool Lesson Plan: Parts of the Body
- How Are You Peeling? A Feeling Lesson for Young Children
- A Preschool Theme on Feelings
- How to Help Your Child Cope With Anger
- Fun Ways to Foster Self-Esteem in Preschoolers
- Building Self-Esteem in Preschool
- All About Me Crafts
- God Gave Me a Healthy Body
- slide 6 of 6
Doctor, Ambulance and First Aid Activities
Unfortunately no matter how we try to protect our children there will come a time when they will fall or injure themselves and need medical attention. Accidents are just a part of growing up. However, educators can prepare children for these times by teaching them what to do if they have an accident and what to do in case of an emergency. Look below for ideas and lessons on first aid, going to the hospital, ambulance songs and how to dial 911.
Many times young children are afraid to go to the doctor or dentist. Alleviate your child's fear of doctors with these fun, interactive poems, games and activities. Reading great books and playing doctor are a few activities kids will love.
- First Aid for Preschool
- Make First Aid Kits With Your Kids
- The Doctor is In! A Preschool Theme About Going to the Doctor
- Doctor Game for Preschool
- Learn About the Hospital: Preschool Activities
- Preschool Ambulance Activities
- A Teacher Made Ambulance Song and Activities for Preschoolers
Our goal here at Bright Hub is to keep preschoolers healthy with health themes, lessons and activities. We hope your preschoolers will enjoy them. For several more creative health ideas check out the link below and leave us a comment, we would love to hear from you.
- Photos and lessons by Lisa King