The Letter-Blend Game
The goal of this game is for students to provide words that begin with the consonant blends assigned to them.
Materials: flash cards with common consonant sounds
1. The class will be divided into 2 groups. Both groups form a circle. One group will be the inner circle while the other will form the outer circle surrounding the inner one.
2. The outer circle will have the flash cards with letters b, c, d, f, g, k, p, s, and t. The inner circle will have the h, l, r, and t. Note that the letters can be duplicated to fit the number of students.
3. To start the game, the teacher will play a song while the students at the outer circle move around the students in the inner circle. When the song is paused or stopped, each student in the outer circle must be paired up with a student in the inner circle. They will show one another the letters that they have.
4. Each student in the pair will have to say a word that starts with the consonant blend that was formed by the letters they have. If the combination of the letters cannot form blends, the students will have to raise their hands. The teacher writes consonant letters that do not blend on the board.
5. The game will continue until all of the blends are mentioned.
A time limit should be set for each pair to give words with consonant blends.