Circle Time Discussion
Provide children with a piece of construction paper and a crayon or pencil.
Instruct the children to listen to the following story carefully and follow directions.
This is the story of "Turkey Lake"
1. Long ago, there was a beautiful lake on the prairie.
(instruct children to draw a circle in the middle of the paper)
2. Fish swam in the lake.
(instruct children to draw several "w's" inside the circle)
3. Duck and geese came to the lake.
(instruct children to draw several "v's" inside the circle)
4. Sometimes the Indian people set up their teepees and camped near the lake.
(instruct the children to draw two triangles, side by side, right underneath the circle)
5. They walked to the lake to get fresh water.
(instruct the children to draw a straight line from the bottom of the circle to each triangle)
6. One day a family of pilgrims built a house near the lake and built a fence around it.
(instruct the children to draw a small circle to the left of the large circle)
7. They too walked to the lake to get water and to catch fish.
(instruct the children to draw two lines from the small circle to the large one)
8. One day, they looked out the little round window in the wall of their house.
(instruct the children to draw a tiny circle inside the smaller one)
9. "Oh no!" they shouted. "The ducks and geese are flying south for the winter! Now what will we eat?
(instruct the children to draw curved lines coming out of the large circle)
10. Then they saw a bird tastier than a duck or geese!
What did they see?
The completed picture should be that of a turkey.