A Homemade Piggy Bank
As children do chores and make allowance, here is a “piggy" bank craft to make for saving at home before taking the money to the bank or buying a special item.
You will need:
- A plastic container – 1-gallon jugs are great
- 4 corks
- Pipe cleaner in pink or grey
- Pink construction paper
- Adhesive stickers or scrap paper
- Permanent markers
- Tacky glue
1. Draw a pig’s face on an empty (thoroughly cleaned) plastic jug. The handle of the jug will be in the front as part of the head.
2. Decorate the bank with designs. Use adhesive stickers, permanent markers, or paper cutouts adhered with tacky glue.
3. Cut out ears from pink construction paper and glue these to the container.
4. Have an adult cut a wide slot with a craft knife on top of the container. Make sure the edges are smooth. This is where your child will place the money.
5. Glue on corks for the legs.
6. Poke a hole into the container at the back end and insert a curled pipe cleaner for the pig’s tail.
Enjoy making this “piggy bank" craft together and encourage the children to save their allowance in it. When full, challenge them to save some (maybe in a bank account) and reward themselves with a “want" they have been wishing for.