- slide 1 of 2
Visit Ancient Greece
This temple was constructed in the ancient Greek city of Ephesus, which was founded by legendary amazonian women. The Temple was not only destroyed once, but twice. All that remains is one single column on a swampy piece of land to remind those who visit of the wonder that once stood there.
Students will learn about the history of The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus. In detail, students will create a timeline, learn how each Temple was destroyed, and learn about he rich history behind this lost Ancient Wonder.
- slide 2 of 2
The Lesson Plan
1. Introduce the students to The Temple of Artemis by reading Artemis (Profiles in Greek & Roman Mythology) (Profiles in Greek and Roman Mythology) by Clair O'Neal. This book gives in detail the legend of Artemis, daughter of Zeus and protector of women. Artemis was also known for hunting, as she carried her bow and arrow.
2. Timeline Creation: Using the history detailed in the Unnatural Mystery Museum, help students to create a timeline for the Temples of Artemis starting at 800 B.C. (first shrine of Artemis) up until today (one column left standing).
3. Poetry Corner: Have each student create a poem in honor of the Goddess Artemis. During this project inform the students of the various poem types they can use such as Haiku, Acrostic, or Ballad. Types of poems can be found here.
4. Extra Homework assignment--Internet Research:
- Students will dig up as much information as they can about the Ancient city of Ephesus. This is to be done on their own at home.
- Student will report on the information they have found including at least one picture to show the class.
After this lesson students will not only know more about the history of The Temple of Artemis and the story behind this great wonder, but will also learn about Greek mythology and its importance in Greek history. They will understand how to create a timeline, become familiar with various types of poetry, and learn the history of the Ancient city of Ephesus.
The Seven Wonders of the World
- Seven Wonders of the World: The Great Pyramid Lesson Plan
- Seven Wonders of the World: The Hanging Gardens of Babylon Lesson Plan
- The Seven Wonders of the World: The Statue of Zeus at Olympia Lesson Plan
- Seven Wonders of the World: Temple of Artemis at Ephesus Lesson Plan
- Seven Wonders of the World: The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus Lesson Plan
- Seven Wonders of the World: The Colossus of Rhodes Lesson Plan
- Seven Wonders of the World: The Great Lighthouse at Alexandria Lesson Plan