Lesson Plans for Middle School Math
MIddle school math lesson plans and covering a variety of subjects typically taught in sixth, seventh and eighth grade, including geometry, algebra, probability. measurement, and patterning. Many plans are provided in a series that can be taught over a few weeks time, and include worksheets or accompanying student study guides in the homework channel. All are written and vetted by experienced teachers and educators.
- Lesson 5: Studying Large Numbers in Space
To a theme of an astronomer studying asteroids in space, students will use numbers expressed in the form of a single digit times an integer power of 10 to estimate very large distances and sizes of asteroids and to express how many times the distance from (or size of ) one asteroid is to another.
- Lesson 6: Researching Microorganisms Living in Pond Water
To the theme of a biologist researching microorganisms living in pond water, students will use numbers expressed in the form of a single digit times an integer power of 10 to estimate very small quantities and to express how many times as much one is than the other.
- Lesson 4: Building Cube Towers and Their Roots
Students will solve problems involving perfect cubes and cube roots of small perfect cubes.
- Lesson 3: Building Square Patios and Their Roots
Students will solve problems involving perfect squares and square roots of small perfect squares.
- Lesson 2: Exploring Properties of Integer Exponents and Radicals
Students will use properties of integer exponents to generate equivalent numerical expressions for very large and very small numbers.
- Lesson 1: Exploring Positive and Negative Integer Exponents
Students will use positive and negative integer exponents to generate equivalent numerical expressions for very large and very small numbers.
- Lesson 5: Playing a Video Game using the Pythagorean Theorem
Students will practice the Pythagorean Theorem through the scenario of playing a video game. Have your students find the distance between their location and the location of the exit door to the next level of the game.
- Lesson 4: Hunting for Treasure using the Pythagorean Theorem
Use the Pythagorean Theorem to hunt for buried treasure! Students will find the distance between two points plotted on a coordinate grid.
- Lesson 2: Finding the Missing Lengths using the Pythagorean Theorem
Students will use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the missing lengths of the sides of right triangles.