The Arts in Middle School
Connect creative middle school students with the wide world of the arts, including music, painting, drawing, sculpture, dance, drama, theatre and more. You'll find ideas for both stand-alone arts classroom instruction as well as push-in lessons designed to help the middle school teacher incorporate the arts into a variety of standardized subjects. You will also find some interesting and lively discussion about the continued decline of the arts in some sixth, seventh and eighth grade classrooms due to budgetary restraints and a focus on standardized assessments.
- Create a Valentine in the Style of Art Nouveau!
Teach students about the beauty of the Art Nouveau movement by letting them explore their creative side with Valentines.
- Middle School Art Lesson: Using a Monochromatic Color Scheme to Paint a Winter Scene
Teach your students how to harness the power of a simple, limited color palette to enhance a seasonal subject.
- Middle School Art Lesson: Create a Print-Style Mixed Media Painting for the Winter Season
Allow students to explore the creativity with a mixed media piece that has the look and feel of a collage print.
- Middle School Lesson: Create a Pumpkin Patch Pastel Painting
Introduce your students to the beauty of painting with warm lights and cool shadows!
- Middle School Art Lesson: Create a Painting with Fall Colors
Teach students to use naturally complementary colors to create fall paintings.
- Art Lesson: Paint with your Senses!
Show your students the joy of using color to paint beyond what they see with their eyes! Students will experiment with watercolor and painting sounds and feelings with color.
- Art Lesson: Still Life: My History, My Future
Get to know your students through still life painting! In this lesson, students will create a still life painting of objects that represent their past and their future hopes.
- Lesson: Create a Night Sky of Fireworks Using Pastels
Using just a few simple materials, your students can create the beauty of a fireworks display against a night sky!
- Beginner Plein Air Painting Lesson: Using a Viewfinder to Paint Outdoors
Using a simple tool to identify a composition, students can create their own unique paintings from any view they see outside!