The Arts in Middle School
Connect creative middle school students with the wide world of the arts, including music, painting, drawing, sculpture, dance, drama, theatre and more. You'll find ideas for both stand-alone arts classroom instruction as well as push-in lessons designed to help the middle school teacher incorporate the arts into a variety of standardized subjects. You will also find some interesting and lively discussion about the continued decline of the arts in some sixth, seventh and eighth grade classrooms due to budgetary restraints and a focus on standardized assessments.
- Summer Art Activity: Fruit and Vegetable Art for the Kitchen
Create bright works of art to hang in the kitchen at home.
- Middle School Art Lesson: Recycled Painting Appreciation Cards
Students can recycle their old paintings into beautiful cards to show their appreciation of others at the end of the school year.
- Flower Watercolor Art Project for Mother's Day
Another easy watercolor painting project of flowers on a watercolor background for children in grades 1-8. The methods are simple but can be adapted to older grades to be more detailed. The results are a beautiful watercolor painting for a Mother's Day gift. Try this easy adaptable project.
- Middle School Art Lesson: Folk Art-Style Bird and Egg Spring Collages
Create a whimsical spring collage featuring birds and eggs!
- Easy Watercolor Art Project for Fall Leaves and Spring Flowers
This easy watercolor painting project can be done in the fall or the spring using similar watercolor painting techniques. The students will find it easy to create beautiful backgrounds and colors following simple shapes. Leaves or flowers can be used in grades 1 - 8 to create stunning results.
- Create a Valentine in the Style of Art Nouveau!
Teach students about the beauty of the Art Nouveau movement by letting them explore their creative side with Valentines.
- Middle School Art Lesson: Using a Monochromatic Color Scheme to Paint a Winter Scene
Teach your students how to harness the power of a simple, limited color palette to enhance a seasonal subject.
- Middle School Art Lesson: Create a Print-Style Mixed Media Painting for the Winter Season
Allow students to explore the creativity with a mixed media piece that has the look and feel of a collage print.
- Middle School Lesson: Create a Pumpkin Patch Pastel Painting
Introduce your students to the beauty of painting with warm lights and cool shadows!