As a team, you will create a three-dimensional map/model of the major battles of the Civil War. In addition to the topographical features (including landscapes, rivers, etc.), you will need to add tags or labels that include the name of the battle site, the commanders for both sides, casualties for both armies, and the outcome of the battle. The model should be one that could anchor a museum exhibit about the Civil War.
Your team should also create a fact sheet about the causes of the war, the advantages and disadvantages of the USA and the CSA, and other important issues. While the sheet needs to be thorough, your information should be concise enough to fit on one single sheet. Your map and fact sheet must include the following information, but you may add more.
- States’ rights and popular sovereignty
Dred Scot decision
- Fort Sumter, Gettysburg, Vicksburg
- Appomattox Courthouse surrender
- Emancipation Proclamation
- Underground Railroad
Use these websites to collect information.
Individually, create a decision-sheet essay (three paragraphs) in which you first provide the arguments for and against the prompt below and then you take a position and defend it. Work with your team to evaluate one another’s writing and to make revision and editing suggestions. After you have completed a draft, consider your grammar, usage, and syntax carefully. When you are sure that you have an error-free essay that thoroughly presents both sides of the issue, followed with an argument for the side with which you agree, prepare a neatly typed or legibly written copy for your teacher.
- The verbal battle over state sovereignty rages on today. Should the rights of each individual state take precedence over the needs of the country as a whole, or should the national rights override the needs of each separate state?