Conflict Resolution WebQuest
Conflict Resolution and Treaties:
1. Assign students a treaty to research. This WebQuest can be an individual or group assignment.
Treaties and Agreements throughout History-
- Treaty of Paris 1783
- Treaty of Ghent 1814
- Treaty of Versailles 1919
- SORT (Strategic Offensive Reductions Treaty) 2002
- Your assignment is to analyze your assigned treaty or agreement and determine how it would have been different if you were involved in its design. You must make three changes and clearly explain why you made them. The changes can take the form of additions, omissions, or alterations. They can be as simple as to the location of the signing as long as you explain your reason and support it with facts.
- The following questions need to be answered and turned in with your assignment.
(Answering these questions can be the entire Conflict Resolution WebQuest if the assignment above is too time consuming.)
Click for a handout of the assignments in this Conflict Resolution WebQuest. Task, process, and evaluation details are included.
- Was this treaty or agreement in response to a potential threat or an armed conflict?
- Describe the threat, war, or conflict. (When did it begin? Which nations, groups, or individuals were involved? Was the conflict based on territorial disputes, aggression by one party, or ideological differences? (Ideological differences can be over religion, form of government, economical problems, nuclear weapons and the like.)
- What were the main grievances, disagreements, or conflicts addressed by the document?
- Which countries or individuals were responsible for the treaty’s content?
- List what you consider to be its main failings. Why were these aspects of the document unsuccessful?
- List what you consider to be its main successes. What made these elements work?
- Describe the process used to reach this resolution.
- Did the elements of this treaty contribute to any succeeding conflicts?
These Internet sites have information on other conflicts and treaties that can be used with this Webquest format.
Treaty of Paris 1783
Treaty of Ghent 1814
Treaty of Versailles 1919
SORT (Strategic Offensive Reductions Treaty) 2002