- slide 1 of 4
The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
This is a huge white marble tomb which was constructed to be the burial place for Mausolus who was a local king in the Persian Empire, and also for his wife, Artemisia . Halicarnassus was located in what is now the southwestern area of Turkey. This tomb was built around 353 B.C. and was 135 feet high. It stood until the 15 century when an earthquake caused it’s fall. All that is left is the foundation and a few pieces.
- slide 2 of 4
Students will learn about the history of The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus. In detail, students will learn about the geography of Turkey, how the Mausoleum was damaged, and where the few remains still stand.
- slide 3 of 4
The Lesson Plan
1. Introduce the students to The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus by reading
Seven Wonders of the Ancient World by Lynn Curlee
This book actually contains information on all of the Wonders so you can just read about Mausoleum at Halicarnassus during this lesson.
- Ask Students if they have ever heard of the word Mausoleum
- What does the word mean?
- How did they get the word Mausoleum? (From King Mausolus)
2. Have students work on unscrambling words worksheet below.
3. Show students where Turkey is located on the map. Explain that Turkey is located on two of the seven continents, Asia and Europe. A free outline of Turkey can be found here. With this outline you can all students to fill in the map of Turkey and draw what they think to be the main cities, sites, rivers, etc. This activity helps students learn about mapping and geography.
4. Timeline Creation: using these dates, help students to create a timeline for the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus starting at 377 B.C.
5. Extra Homework Assignment:
- Have children choose one sculptor from the list and write a brief report on the sculptor of his or her choice.
- Make sure the student lists the artworks the sculptor has created.
- Sculptors for the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus can be found here.
After this lesson students will not only know more about the history of The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus and the story behind this great wonder, but will also learn about timelines, sculptors, and the geography of Turkey.
The Seven Wonders of the World
- Seven Wonders of the World: The Great Pyramid Lesson Plan
- Seven Wonders of the World: The Hanging Gardens of Babylon Lesson Plan
- The Seven Wonders of the World: The Statue of Zeus at Olympia Lesson Plan
- Seven Wonders of the World: Temple of Artemis at Ephesus Lesson Plan
- Seven Wonders of the World: The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus Lesson Plan
- Seven Wonders of the World: The Colossus of Rhodes Lesson Plan
- Seven Wonders of the World: The Great Lighthouse at Alexandria Lesson Plan