Part I: Questions and Answers
Use the website below to answer these questions about Ancient Egypt. Answers are provided here but are not on the handout in the media gallery.
Explore the Pyramids at National Geographic.com
1. What did the Ancient Egyptians believe happened to the Pharaoh upon his death?
They thought he became Osiris, king of the dead.
2. Why was it thought to be essential to mummify pharaohs?
Since the ka, (the spiritual energy of a person's soul or essence), stayed with the pharaoh’s body, it was essential to keep the body in good form so the pharaoh could fulfill his duities as king of the dead.
3. Define mastabas and benben.
Mastaba-flat, mud-brick or stone tombs. The word means bench in Arabic.
Benben- pointed stone symbolizing the sun’s rays.
4. What new structures were built during the Old Kingdom?
5. What was the main purpose of these structures/monuments?
Pyramids served as tombs for the pharaohs.
6. Which Pharaoh built the first pyramid?
7. Who was his architect?
8. Was it a true pyramid?
No. It was a step pyramid consisting of a series of stacked mastabas.
9. Which Pharaoh built the first true pyramid and what was it called?
Snefru ‘s third attempt at a pyramid, the Red Pyramid, was a true pyramid shape.
10. Were slaves responsible for pyramid construction?