Judy Moody Was in a Mood
It’s the first day of school and Judy is in a mad-face mood! She did not go anywhere all summer; therefore, she does not have a scenic vacation T-shirt to show off on the first day.
1. Math: Frank-who-eats-paste Pearl gives Judy presents on various holidays. Use individual copies of a blank yearly calendar and ask students to circle the dates (with specified colors) of special holidays: Christmas/green; Thanksgiving/brown; Valentine’s Day/red; Independence Day/blue; and so on.
2. Science: Judy got a new “pet". It’s a Venus flytrap. Have students research what this unusual pet really is. Judy really wanted a two-toed sloth. Students will research facts about a sloth.
3. Math: Judy, Rocky and Stink combine their money to buy things at Vic’s. Provide simple items to buy (with price tags attached) and put play money on a table. Ask students to check the price of an item that they want to buy and count the correct amount of money to pay for it. Students must count the money owed to pay for the desired item.
4. Social Studies: Judy lived in Virginia. Locate Virginia on a map of the United States. Students draw a map of Virginia. Using a resource book in the classroom, such as an atlas or social studies book, have the students mark the major cities, rivers and capital of Virginia.
5. Guidance: Judy jumped to conclusions about her classmate Frank. She thought he was gross because he ate some paste. Judy is forced to go to his birthday party and begins to change her opinion about Frank. What happened? Have students describe a time when they have jumped to conclusions about someone. Was it fair?