You were asked to complete several tasks before your puppy is to be released. Here are the tasks:
1. Read an interactive story about the famous dog Clifford. Just click on "Begin" and then click on the speaker symbols to listen to the lines of the story. Afterwards, read the nonfiction selection about dog training. Did you notice things that are the same? Which are different?
2. Study a venn diagram sample. Then compare and contrast the fiction story and the nonfiction selection about dogs that you had read by writing the similarities and the differences in a venn diagram. Make one on a piece of bond paper. You may add drawings too!
3. For the story about Clifford, fill out a unique bone story map to recall the details in the story.
4. Also learn to identify the main idea or the big idea in a selection. Then point out the details that support the main idea. Use this main idea and supporting details organizer to understand the nonfiction text about training dogs and giving them obedience lessons.
5. Now try to look for some cause-and-effect situations in the nonfiction selection. For example, if the effect is that the dog obeys its master, then what was the cause of this? Use a cause-and-effect organizer.
6. Finally,write your own nonfiction selection. You may write about your own pet dog or you may describe the kind of pet that you would want to have. These are real, and not made up. Nonfiction texts are full of facts, not invented details such as in fiction. Include a drawing too if you wish!