Let's Play Ball!
Maniac Magee was considered a legend for his athletic ability. Find “legends" in your own class by playing Maniac Magee baseball to review facts in the book.
1.Create a small baseball diamond in the classroom if you have the space. Clear an area and use carpet squares, tape or student chairs to mark the bases. If you do not have space in the classroom, draw a baseball diamond on the board.
2. Use a blank game spinner and mark four sections on it. Write one word in each section: single, double, triple and homerun.
3. Find an area on the board to keep score.
4. Divide the class into two teams.
5. Print off game questions.
Ask a question to the first player from the starting team. No other team member can help with the answer. If answered correctly, the player spins the spinner to find out the type of hit and moves to that base. Team continues until there are 3 outs (3 incorrect answers). You may change the number of outs to one or two to keep the game moving back and forth. Then the other team is up to bat. Decide ahead of time the number of innings you will be playing.
1. What is Maniac’s real first name? Jeffrey
2.How old was he when his parents died? 3
3. Who did he live with when his parents died? aunt and uncle
4.Why did he run away from them? They did not get along. Everything was separate.
5. To what town did he run? Two Mills
6. How did his parents die? trolley accident
7. Who was the first person to actually talk to Maniac in Two Mills? Amanda Beale
8. What did she have that was of interest to Maniac? bag of books
9. Why did she carry the books with her? Her younger siblings kept coloring in them.
10. The town was racially divided, the east end was for ____? blacks
11. In what sport did Maniac first show up and disrupt the game? football
12. The ball was supposed to be thrown to whom? “Hands" Down
13. Four high school bullies threw a young boy into the Finsterwald’s______? backyard
14. How did Mrs. Pickwell alert her children that it was time for dinner? She whistled.
15. Who struck out 16 batters in a row to break a record? John McNab
16. What did he pitch to Maniac that wasn’t a baseball? a frog
17. Where did Maniac sleep when he first arrived in town? The zoo (in the deer shed)
18. Who offered Maniac a bite of a candy bar? Mars Bar Thompson