Story problems related to Sarah, Plain and Tall:
1. The distance from the coast of Maine to Topeka, Kansas is 1,550 miles. If a train travels 500 miles a day, how many days would it take to get from Maine to Kansas? If the train only goes 300 miles a day, how many days would it take?
2. Caleb is 48” tall. Sarah is 67” tall. What is the difference in their heights?
3. Papa is 72” tall and Anna is 59” tall. What is the difference in their heights?
4. Using the above information, convert all of the heights to feet and inches.
5. Sarah planted five rosebushes. Each bush has seven roses. How many roses in all?
6. Sarah loved the sheep. There are 34 sheep and 17 lambs. How many in all?
7. The house is twenty feet long and 18 feet wide. What is the perimeter of the house? What is the area? (perimeter=length of all sides; area of rectangle=length X width and answer is in square feet)
8. Sarah drives the wagon to town at the rate of 4 miles per hour. It takes 2 ½ hours to get to town. How far is the town from their home?
9. Each row in the field takes fifteen minutes to plow. There are 58 rows in the field. How many minutes does it take to plow?
10. Use the information in the above questions. Convert the minutes to hours and minutes.