Teaching Kids About Using the Internet: Online Reading
Key Facts, Concepts and Vocabulary Words: dime novel, Web site, link, biography.
1. To improve reading and Internet skills. (The Library of Congress Web Site)
2. To learn how to locate specific data on a page.
3. Improve and expand vocabulary.
Begin by handing out copies of the directions and explaining the lesson.
- Today we will be reading stories on the Web. They will contain some new vocabulary words. Also, the directions to your assignment contain terms that you might not know. Let's begin by going over these new words and terms.
1. Does anyone know what a dime novel is? (Novel set in the West, usually with heroes and villains. Cost 10 cents.)
2. What does bison mean? (Bison means buffalo.)
3. Can anyone define the phrase Web Site? (An Internet "page" set up by a person or organization, government office, etc.)
4. What's a link on a Web Site? (Click-able text or picture (icon) that takes you somewhere else on the site or to another site.)
5. What's a biography? (Story of someone's life.)
Review the directions.