- slide 1 of 10
Use decomposition of rectilinear figures and addition of the areas of the decomposed figures in the context of solving real world and mathematical problems.
Lesson Objective: The lesson is aligned to the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics – 3.MD.7d Geometric Measurement – Recognize area as additive.
Materials Required: graph paper, calculator
- slide 2 of 10
Kathy wants to install new carpet in her living room. The drawing on the grid below represents the shape of her living room. The length of each side of the squares on the grid measures one foot. What is the total area of Kathy’s living room?
- slide 3 of 10
2. What is the length of the sides of Rectangle 1?
3. What is the length of the sides of Rectangle 2?
4. What is the area of Rectangle 1?
5. What is the area of Rectangle 2?
6. To find the area of Kathy’s living room, add the areas of Rectangle 1 and Rectangle 2.
7. What is the area of Kathy’s living room in square feet?
- slide 4 of 10
2. 6 feet and 8 feet
3. 10 feet and 6 feet
4. 48 square feet
5. 60 square feet
6. 48 square feet + 60 square feet
7. 108 square feet
- slide 5 of 10
Individual or Group Work:
Look at the drawings shown on the grid below to help you solve the problems. The length of each side of the squares on the grid measures one foot. To find the total areas, decompose the drawings into rectangles.
1. Find the area of the shaded area on the grid shown below.
- slide 9 of 10
1. 39 square feet
2. 42 square feet
3. 60 square feet
4. 61 square feet
5. 48 square feet
Grade 3 Math Lessons on Geometric Measurement
- Finding the Area of Figures using Unit Squares: Grade 3 Math Lesson
- Finding the Area of Figures using Unit Squares: 3rd Grade Math
- 3rd Grade Math: Finding the Area of Rectangular Figures using Multiplication
- Finding the Area of Rectangular Figures in Real World Mathematical Problems: Grade 3 Lesson
- Finding Area using a Model of the Distributive Property: Math Lesson for Grade 3
- Finding the Area with Decomposition and Addition: 3rd Grade Math Lesson with Assessment