On page 15 of Freckle Juice the teacher says, “This morning we will begin with arithmetic." How many of your students have every heard of “arithmetic"?
Here are some story related word problems that you can use. Create some more to fit the math objective on which you are working.
1. (Page 12) Andrew says that $.50 is five whole weeks of allowance. How much does Andrew make each week?
2. (Page 32) Mom says that if Andrew doesn’t go to school she will make him “take three baths every day for the next ten years!" How many days in a year? How many baths per year? Per ten years?
3. If Sharon sold the freckle juice recipe to Andrew and five other students, how much money would she receive?
4. Sharon does not include measurements with her recipe! Let’s suppose the measurements were as follows: 1 cup grape juice; ½ cup of each of these: vinegar, mayonnaise, olive oil; ¼ cup each of ketchup and mustard. How many cups would you have?
5. If Andrew drank the freckle juice at 3:30 and got sick at 5:15. How many minutes did it take for him to get sick?