Teaching the Literacy Lesson
Show students the book cover, and ask for predictions about the story. Point to the title and pronounce it; repeat with the author’s name. Read the story, and then give each child a copy of the worksheet (below.)
Circle the letters that need to be capitalized. Put in the punctuation.
- clifford loved the big red and blue balloons
- clifford and emily elizabeth can make a little snowman
- will the children and clifford play hockey
- emily elizabeth and clifford count the days until christmas
- does clifford find a big christmas tree
Choose the correct word from the following list to answer each question. Write the word.
Balloons, stocking, Santa, tree, Clifford, snowman, Emily Elizabeth
- Who gave Clifford some mistletoe?
- What did Clifford hang up on Christmas Eve?
- Who fell into Clifford’s stocking?
- Who offered his presents to Santa?
- What was too big to fit into Emily Elizabeth’s house?
- What did Clifford see at the parade?
- What did Clifford make?
Teacher Answer Key: Emily Elizabeth, stocking, Santa, Clifford, tree, balloons, snowman