- slide 1 of 7
Lesson Overview and Objectives
Try this Clifford the Big Red Dog learning lesson, and watch how much fun kids have while they learn. This plan is designed for independent readers who read simple sentences and write answers. Teach it in under 45 minutes with minimal supplies or prep time. It meets these educational objectives:
- Encourages emergent readers
- Increases reader recall and retention
- Exercises sequencing and critical thinking skills
- Requires analyzing information for accuracy
- Clifford’s First Valentine Day, Norman Bridwell, [Scholastic Inc., 1997]
- Flashcards for sight words: me, my, big, red, for, the, up, little, it, and, help, I, away, to, we, see, find, a, down, said, one
- Teacher worksheets – copy and paste text and print copies
- slide 2 of 7
Teaching the Literacy Lesson
Let each student choose a sight word flash card until all the cards are distributed. Tell them to listen for the sight words while the story is read, and to hold up their flash card when they hear their word.
Show the book cover and ask for predictions about the story. Read the story and place an emphasis on the sight words; praise the student’s efforts when they respond correctly.
- slide 3 of 7
Lesson Activities – Reader Recall
Write the correct answer to each question below. Circle the sight words.
- Clifford is a little red puppy that belongs to whom?
- What happened to Clifford at the post office?
- How did Emily Elizabeth find Clifford?
- Who is Emily Elizabeth’s favorite valentine?
Teacher Answer Key: Emily Elizabeth, gets lost, hears him bark, Clifford
- slide 4 of 7
Lesson Activities - Story Sequencing
Put the sentences below in the correct order. Write the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 to show how things happened.
_______Clifford gets lost at the post office.
_______ Clifford makes a mess with the white paste.
_______ Emily Elizabeth, Mom, and Clifford go to the post office.
_______ Clifford and Emily Elizabeth make valentines.
_______ Emily Elizabeth finds Clifford when he barks.
Teacher Answer Key: 4, 2, 3, 1, 5
- slide 5 of 7
Lesson Activities - Analyzing Information
Circle yes or no to show which sentences are correct.
- Emily Elizabeth tries to eat the white paste. Yes No
- Clifford cuts out hearts without using scissors. Yes No
- Emily Elizabeth’s favorite valentine is from her Grandma. Yes No
- Mom, Emily Elizabeth, and Clifford ride in the car to the post office. Yes No
- Emily Elizabeth finds Clifford. Yes No
Teacher Answer Key: no, yes, no, no, yes
- slide 6 of 7
Recommended Reading and Book List
In this Clifford the Big Red Dog learning lesson, children hear a story about Valentine’s Day. They review sight words, reading comprehension, and sequencing.
Try these other Clifford the Big Red Dog books to extend this lesson:
- Clifford’s Christmas, Norman Bridwell, [Scholastic Inc., 1984]
- Clifford’s Halloween, Norman Bridwell, [Scholastic Inc., 1986]
- Clifford’s Thanksgiving Visit, Norman Bridwell, [Scholastic Inc., 1993]
- Clifford’s First Halloween, Norman Bridwell, [Scholastic Inc., 1995]
- slide 7 of 7
Image, Wikimedia Commons/Public Domain
Clifford the Big Red Dog Learning About Holidays
- Clifford the Big Red Dog: Fall-Themed Math and Reading Activities
- Teacher Lesson Plans: Holiday Celebrations with Clifford’s First Valentine’s Day
- Clifford the Big Red Dog and Halloween
- Clifford the Big Red Dog: Learning About Thanksgiving
- Clifford the Big Red Dog Learning About Christmas: Lessons Kids Love!