- slide 1 of 2
Speak to children about what a teacher is and what they do. Teach the students about how they teach many different age groups…even older adults can be students!
2. Read a book.
What Teacher’s Can’t Do by Douglas Wood
I Want to Be A Teacher by Dan Lieberman
A Day in the Life of a Teacher by Heather Adamson
You Know You’re a Teacher if…by Char Forsten, Jim Grant, and Betty Hollas
My Teacher’s My Friend by P. K. Hallinan
Have child color picture of the letter T and teach the child that the word Teacher starts with the letter T.
4. Cooking with Kids:
Dip apples in fun ingredients such as chocolate , caramel, or sprinkles. Enjoy your delicious treat as a snack after lunch!
5. Fun with Numbers!
Complete the number worksheet below
6. Crafts-make a pencil holder
Have kids decorate clean coffee can using paint, crayons, markers, or stickers.
Place holes in lid, big enough for pencils.
Each child can now have their very own pencil holder for their desk.
7. Learn a Poem
One Hundred Years from now (excerpt from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft)
One Hundred Years from now It will not matter what kind of car I drove, What kind of house I lived in, how much money was in my bank account nor what my clothes looked like. But the world may be a better place because I was important in the life of a child.
8. Making a book.
Finish up the lesson by having the children look through magazines to find anything teacher related. Allow them to cut and paste these pictures onto Teacher Pictures Page. By the end of the unit the children will have various collages of community helpers/workers that they can make into a book.
Community Helpers Lesson Plans: Units of Study for Labor Day
- A Unit of Study Introducing Community Helpers
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Astronaut
- Activities for the Community Helper: The Baker
- Teaching Kids About the Community Helper: The Farmer
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Firefighter
- Labor Day Lesson Plan: The Police Officer
- Activity to Teach Kids About Doctors and Nurses
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Postal Worker Activity
- Airplane Lesson Plans: The Pilot
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Teacher
- Review Community Helpers & Hold a Career Day at School