- slide 1 of 7
Speak to children about what a nurse is and what a doctor is and what they do. Teach the students about how they help you when you are sick. Teach children about the different “tools” they use during procedures. Teach children about the different kinds of doctors such as dentists or pediatricians.
Teacher resource from the Bureau of Labor Statistics: What does a nurse do?
Kid-friendly resource from Ben's Guide to the U.S. Government: What does a doctor do?)
- slide 2 of 7
Books to Read
Here's a list of useful books to introduce the topic.
- Ness the Nurse by Nick Sharratt
- My Daddy is a Nurse by Mark Wandro
- Nurse Nancy (Little Golden Books) by Kathryn Jackson and Corinne Malvern
- I Want to Be a Nurse by Dan Liebman
- A Day in the Life of a Nurse by Connie Fluet
- Corduroy Goes to the Doctor by Don Freeman and Lisa McCue
- Doctor Maisy by Lucy Cousins
- My friend the Doctor by Joanna Cole and Maxie Chambliss
- I Want to Be a Doctor by Dan Liebman
- What to Expect When You Go to the Doctor by Heidi Murkoff and Heidi E. Murkoff
- Elmo Goes to the Doctor online book.
- Online book about pediatricians.
- slide 3 of 7
Have the child color the picture of the letter N and teach the child that the word Nurse starts with the letter N. Then color the picture of the letter D and teach the child that the word Doctor starts with the letter D. Coloring pages can be found below. Below links contain nurse and doctor coloring pages:
- More Medical Coloring Pages -- loads of doctor, ambulance, etc. coloring pages.
- slide 5 of 7
Cooking With Kids
Teach the children what you may eat if you are in the hospital as a patient. Many of the different foods a nurse may serve you are fruits, vegetables, soups and of course JELL-O!
Try out some of the easy Jell-O recipes provided in the link below!
- slide 6 of 7
Making a Book
Finish up the lesson by having the children look through magazines to find anything doctor, nurse, health related. Allow them to cut and paste these pictures onto the Nurse & Doctor Picture Page. By the end of the unit the children will have various collages of community helpers/workers that they can make into a book
Community Helpers Lesson Plans: Units of Study for Labor Day
- A Unit of Study Introducing Community Helpers
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Astronaut
- Activities for the Community Helper: The Baker
- Teaching Kids About the Community Helper: The Farmer
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Firefighter
- Labor Day Lesson Plan: The Police Officer
- Activity to Teach Kids About Doctors and Nurses
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Postal Worker Activity
- Airplane Lesson Plans: The Pilot
- Labor Day Lesson Plans: The Teacher
- Review Community Helpers & Hold a Career Day at School