Begin a unit on hibernation or a study of bears with Jim Arnosky’s Every Autumn Comes the Bear, which has simple text and striking illustrations. Read through one time and then return to the beginning to discuss some of the vocabulary and book content.
1. rugged- uneven, broken and rocky surface
2. lair- a well-hidden resting place for an animal
3. scent- a trail left by the unique smell of an animal
4. grouse- medium to large game bird in the same family as prairie chickens
5. nestled- settled comfortably within or against something
1. Why do you think the bear comes at the same time every year?
2. Why do the animals hide from the bear?
3. List the other animals depicted in the book. (porcupine, raven, bobcat, raccoon, deer, rabbit, fox, grouse, various birds)
4. How do the book’s illustrations show the gradual change in weather?