Abstract Elephant Collage
In this art project, students will create a colorful elephant. You can either give them the outline of an elephant on white paper, you can ask them to trace an elephant figure, or you can have them attempt to draw their own elephant. The important thing is that the elephant's body should be wide enough that students can glue pieces of paper into the center of the elephant to create an elephant collage.
Here are the directions:
1. Pass out the elephant shape to students or ask them to draw an elephant on a piece of paper.
2. Give students different colors of tissue paper, colorful magazine ads or some other type of colorful paper. Students should cut these into tiny pieces. They can create any shapes they want. They can make some pieces larger than others.
3. Students use glue to create a collage of color inside the elephant's body, including his head, legs, ears, trunk and tail.
4. When students are finished, the elephant should be covered in different colors.
5. Students can put the elephant in its natural habitat to extend this art activity and meet science objectives by drawing a jungle scene around the animal.