Other Sayings Mentioning Seasons, Months, or Parts of the Day
- Enero mojado, bueno para el tiempo y malo para el ganado.
- mojado = wet
- (el) tiempo = in this context, weather
- (el) ganado = cattle
Literal translation: Wet January, good for the weather and bad for cattle.
- Febrerillo loco, un día peor que otro.
- Febrerillo = diminutive for “febrero" (January)
- loco = crazy
- peor que = worse than
Literal translation: Crazy little February, one day worse than the other.
- Niebla de marzo, agua en la mano.
- (la) niebla = fog
- (la) mano = hand
Literal translation: March fog, water in the hand.
- Cuando marzo mayea, mayo marcea.
- mayea = here, this non usual verb “mayear" means “to be like / to work as March"
- marcea = same as “mayear", but using the word “marzo" to create the verb “marcear"
Translation: When March weather is like May (weather), May weather is like March (weather)
- mil = one thousand.
Literal translation: In April, one thousand waters.
- En abril cada gota vale por mil.
- cada =each
- vale = 3rd person singular, present tense, verb “valer" (here, to be the equivalent to)
Literal translation: In April each water drop is the equivalent to one thousand drops.
- Hasta el 40 de mayo, no te quites el sayo.
- hasta = until
- quites = command form, 2nd person singular, verb “quitarse" (to remove, take off)
- (el) sayo = tunic (this word is not very common nowadays).
Literal translation: Until May the 40th, don't take off you tunic.
Marzo ventoso y abril lluvioso, traen a mayo florido y hermoso.
- ventoso = windy
- lluvioso = rainy
- traen = 3rd person plural, present tense, verb “traer" (to bring)
- florido = florid, flowery
- hermoso = beautiful
Literal translation: Windy March and rainy April bring a flowery and beautiful May.
- En diciembre no hay valiente que no tiemble.
- valiente = brave
- tiemble = 3rd person singular, present subjunctive tense, verb “temblar" (to tremble)
Literal translation: In December, there is no brave people who doesn't tremble.
Or: In December, even brave people tremble.