Amusing Spanish Proverbs
1. No hay burro calvo, ni calabaza con pelo
There is no bald donkey, neither pumpkin with hair.
Meaning – Say what you know and do what you can do.
2. Donde un jaguar ruge, no hay burro con reumatismo
Where a jaguar roars, there is no donkey with rheumatism.
Meaning – In times of necessity, we all get inventive.
3. Con el dinero baila el perro.
With the money the dog dances.
Meaning – If you have money, all things are possible.
4. Lavar puercos con jabón es perder tiempo y jabón
Washing pigs with soap is to lose time and soap
Meaning – Some things are a waste of time.
5. De que el escribiente es malo, le echa la culpa a la pluma
A bad writer blames his pen.
Meaning – Some people would rather blame something rather than face their own shortcomings.
6. En boca cerrada no entran moscas
In closed mouth flies do not enter.
Meaning – Better to keep quiet than to speak and prove you're an idiot.
7. El ladron que roba a otro ladron tiene cien años de perdon.
The thief who robs another thief has one hundred years of pardon.
Meaning – Stealing from a thief is no crime.
8. Santa Rita Rita, Rita; lo que se da no se quita
Holy Rita Rita, Rita; what is given is not removed.
Meaning – Once you have give a gift, don't ask for it back.