- slide 1 of 1
Meet Gallon Guy
Gallon guy is the guy that can tell you how to divide measurements without saying a word! He simply displays them for you. All you have to do is look up and see him to know what measurements you need. Follow the instructions below to make your Gallon Guy math measuring tool.
- To make the Gallon guy, you will need 5 sheets of construction paper (in different colors), scissors, marker and glue.
- Let's assume that the colors you chose are red, green, yellow, blue and orange.
- Cut the orange construction paper into a dinner plate sized circle.
- Cut the blue construction paper into 4 equal rectangles and write the word "quart" on each rectangle.
- Cut the red construction paper into 8 equal rectangles and write the word "pint" on each rectangle.
- Cut the yellow construction paper into 16 equal rectangles and write the word "cup" on each rectangle.
- Do not cut the green construction paper at all.
- Place the green construction paper on the table so that the "top" is one of the shorter sides of the rectangle. Glue the circle to the top.
- Glue 2 blue rectangles to the top of both sides of the rectangle and 2 to either end of the bottom of the rectangle. These will be the top part of Gallon Guy's arms and legs.
- Glue 2 red rectangles to each to each of the blue rectangles so that they are glued on the opposite end of each blue rectangle as the "body". Make sure to fan these out a bit and that you are able to read the words on the rectangles.
- Glue 2 yellow rectangles to each of the red rectangles using the same procedure you used for gluing the red rectangles to the blue ones. Again, be sure to fan them out. These are Gallon Guy's "fingers".
- Draw a face on the circle and write "Gallon" on the body of Gallon Guy.
When you look at Gallon Guy, you can see how liquid measurements are divided up. There are 4 quarts in a gallon, 2 pints in a quart and 2 cups in a pint. Therefore, there are 4 quarts in a gallon, 8 pints in a gallon and 16 cups in a gallon! This os a great math measuring tool for it will make remembering your liquid measurements much easier!