The Juxtaposition of Tragedy and Comedy
The dictionary definition of tragedy is "Drama in prose or verse of elevated theme and diction and with unhappy ending." The dictionary definition of comedy is "Light, amusing and often satirical character, chiefly representing everyday life and with happy ending." Victor Martinez uses both of these strategies together in events throughout the book.( Dictionary:The Oxford Concise Dictionary.Oxford University Press.Fourth Edition)
Examine the mood that is set in the following events, and detail the tragedy and comedy in each instance. Tell how it makes the event more poignant or depressing. Does it lift the mood? Is it an effective tool?
1) Page 57.Page 58. Dad is looking for the bullets and Pedi is helping to retrieve them.
2) Page 62. The policeman's flashlight lights up the picture of the Last Supper.
3) Page 71. Mom is preparing for Dad's homecoming.
4) Pages 85 to 89 Grandma's funeral.
5) Pages119 to 139. The training for the fight and the fight.
6) Page 145. The descriptions and events in the waiting room of the hospital.