- slide 1 of 4
The A Beka home education curriculum is a Christian homeschool curriculum for K-12 that has been around since 1974. It uses some of the same teaching techniques that are found within traditional schools, which is one of the reasons why a lot of Christian private schools use it. However, this curriculum is quite popular among homeschools as well today. Before making the decision, become aware of some of the possible disadvantages of the curriculum.
- slide 2 of 4
Some of the benefits that you and your child will derive from using A Beka home education curriculum include:
- It is Biblically based. This is actually why a lot of people choose to use it: Christian beliefs are woven throughout all of the books.
- It is structured. If you feel you need help organizing a full curriculum for your child then this is definitely something you will want to look for. This curriculum actually comes with a manual that contains a complete daily schedule for every subject.
- There is a DVD program. This is another homeschool program that A Beka offers and that you can feel confident in using. It will also give your child the feeling of being in a real classroom.
- There is a strong phonics program available for young children. This is what A Beka uses to teach children how to read. They show children how to blend different sounds together to make words.
- It teaches you little tricks along the way so that your child will remember their grammar, spelling, math, etc,--for instance “I before E except after C." There are a lot of these great tricks through the A Beka curriculum.
- slide 3 of 4
Just like with anything else in life, there are also some cons to using A Beka. These include:
- There is too much review, drill and testing. It is not uncommon for there to be a quiz every day and this can become overwhelming for some children. While you can skip these things, if you are the type of person who feels like you have to do everything, then this is not the right curriculum for you
- It is a really expensive curriculum. In fact, it is one of the most expensive homeschool curriculums available on the market today.
- It is based upon the use of textbooks and workbooks only. There are some children who don’t enjoy this type of work but if your child enjoys this, if your child is one of them, then this may not be the right curriculum for them.
- There is a high rate of burnout because of the accelerated approach that is utilized. Even the lesson plans can become a bit overwhelming at times.
- This curriculum is not packaged in a way that is easy to resell or reuse. In fact, if you plan to resell or reuse it, your child will need to do their work on separate paper. If this isn’t something that either your child or you are comfortable doing, you may want to choose a more simple option.
- slide 4 of 4
If you decide that this curriculum is for you, then you should know that it is easy to find lots of places that sell it. Any good book store will have A Beka products available to purchase or you can find them for sale online as well. In order to purchase it online, simply visit abeka.com, or try to buy it used on other online sites. One of the best places to purchase this curriculum though is at eBay.