If you've ever watched the hit cable television show "19 Kids and Counting," on The Learning Channel, you have probably seen Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar homeschooling their children. However, what you might not have known is that they use Switched on Schoolhouse curriculum as the basis for their teachings.
Switched on Schoolhouse (S.O.S.) is a Bible-based curriculum that offers computer based learning for Grades 3-12. It uses 3-D animation, video clips and other multimedia to capture students attention. It is produced by Alpha-Omega Publications and can be found at http://www.aophomeschooling.com. The five core subjects covered are Bible, History & Geography, Science, Language and Math. They also offer an extensive amount of electives, specifically for grades 7-12, including American Literature, British Literature, French, Spanish, Trigonometry, and College Planning, among many others.
According to their website, some of the main features of the Switched on Schoolhouse curriculum include:
- Quick Installation (The downloading time should be quick!)
- Automatic Grading (The computer program does most of the grading of your child's work for you.)
- Daily Work Report (The lessons are planned for you, and each student's work report is listed daily.)
- Revised Content (S.O.S. keeps their content updated and current each year.)
- Text to Speech Feature (The program has a feature that allows a student to hear the text read aloud to him/her.)
- Homepage Themes (You can customize your homepage with their choices of colorful backgrounds.)
- Fun Games (There are fun games to help with the learning process.)
COST: You can purchase individual courses for around $75.00 a piece, or a 5 subject set which includes Bible, History & Geography, Science, Language and Math for around $400.00. The curriculum can be purchased through Alpha and Omega publications, or other dealers including, Pennywise Learning and Christianbooks, both which have websites. (www.pennywiselearing.com or www.christianbooks.com).