Five Places to Find Great Curriculum
There are many foreign language courses available to homeschoolers. Some of the top rated are:
1. Rosetta Stone is the most recommended language curriculum. The approach they take is a total immersive environment on any computer. They offer materials to learn 28 different languages.
- Mandarin Chinese
- Filipino (Tagalog)
- English (American or British)
- Spanish (Spain or Latin America)
You can order a free sample at their website.
2. Abeka books offer foreign language electives in Spanish and French. They come with a strong missionary emphasis. Each week the student memorizes a bible verse and work in vocabulary manuals. They offer a video curriculum in Spanish only.
3. Artes Latinae from Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers offers a great study of Latin including the culture and history of Rome. It is a programmed-learning style Latin course for independent learning with two levels available. Completing these two levels should be equivalent to two years of traditional high school Latin coursework. Each level includes a DVD-ROM with the contents of two textbooks and the original 15 cassette tapes from earlier versions of the course, plus print versions of a reader, a reference notebook, teacher's manuals and test booklet.
4. Spanish: There are many great Spanish curriculums available to homeschoolers. To learn about 10 of them go to Bringing Up Learners.
5. American Sign Language: A wonderful online course is available at Lifeprint.com. It is known as the Sign Language University and you can have your student take a graded course and get the documentation to prove their studies. They also have many free resources.