Lesser-Known Facts About Memorial Day
Here are a few lesser-known facts that surround Memorial Day.
1. Several Southern states have a separate memorial to honor Confederate soldiers called Confederate Memorial Day.
2. Veterans who survived the Vietnam War often travel to Washington D.C. during Memorial Day weekend to visit the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, where they pay their respects.
3. Several regions continue to celebrate Memorial Day on May 30.
4. Even though Waterloo, NY was recognized as the official birthplace of Memorial Day, several towns such Macon, Georgia and Richmond, Virginia continue to proclaim that they are the originators of Memorial Day.
5. The official national moment of remembrance occurs at 3:00 p.m. local time.
5. Memorial Day is similar to Veterans Day in that it recognizes members of the armed forces. However, Veterans Day also recognizes soldiers that are alive today.