Sample Lesson on Political Parties Using the iPad
Purpose: The purpose of this activity is to provide students with the knowledge and understanding of political parties, and have them participate in writing a platform for a political party using their iPad. Engaging your students with the iPad will help them retain what they're learning.
Objective: Students will be able to
1. Identify political parties by using apps downloaded on their iPad to gain information.
2. Identify key elements of the two major political parties using their iPad to gain information.
3. Write their own platform for a political party using the iWork app on their iPad.
• Introduce students to this activity by first explaining the election process as well as the two main political parties and their platforms to the students.
• Next, have students research the two main political parties and their platforms by downloading applications for the iPad such as Political Terms for Dummies, The Democrats and The Republican Loop to gain information.
• Finally have students write their own platform for a political party of their creation, by using the iWork app to create and publish their platform.
You will assess the students' work by seeing their finished political platforms published on iWork.com.
These creative uses for the iPad in your High School government course will add excitement and motivate the students to learn about the government through the use of new technology in the classroom.