- slide 1 of 5
How to Incorporate Economics Education Software into Your High School Class Schedule
You can incorporate economics education software into your class easily, by allowing the students to become the explorers. High school age students are very good at working in groups. It fosters their natural, social needs, while maintaining interest in their learning.
Have them problem solve and teach one another. There are two programs which allow this to happen easily and effectively for your students. It will reinforce core concepts of your students and allow them to extend their learning in a way that is beneficial to their learning experience. The best learning experiences are those that allow your students to become engaged actively in their learning process. This software is beneficial to their learning for that exact reason.
- slide 2 of 5
The game "Gazillionaire" is an excellent choice for your classroom. This is economics education software for your high school students. It is a wonderful tool for reinforcement of the core concepts for your classroom.
The core concepts that it covers are:
- Some Logic
If you wish to download an educational guide to implement this into your classroom, then you may download that guide here.
You can download the game for free here.
Some ideas to incorporate this game into your class schedule would be:
- Start the day with a brief review of the core concepts, which you can choose based on your school requirements.
- Then assign partners for the game as "business teams".
- Have them go into their "business teams" and create a basic plan for how to make a business a success. All you need here is a basic outline from the students.
- Have them name the business.
- Allow them to each take a turn playing the game and using the outline that they have created. This allows them to see how the business that they have created holds up to the game. The game will test the business outline and their ability to formulate a basic plan for their success with that business.
- Conclude the project with a presentation of their business and how successful or un-successful it would be in the real world.
- slide 3 of 5
The economics education software "Zapitalism" is a continuation from "Gazillionaire". It follows the same idea of teaching the students the core concepts of economics in practice. It offers you as the teacher a hands-on chance to guide your students through an experience of creating a business and maintaining it.
- Some Logic
Some ways to incorporate this game into your classroom schedule would be:
- Have the students break into their business groups.
- Have them work on how to buy, sell and price their products for profit.
- Have them discuss how they would improve the profit margin of their business.
- Have them then present to the class how they improved the profit margin of their business.
- slide 4 of 5
In conclusion, you should consider this software for your students. It is beneficial to their experiences for economics education software learning and serves the purpose of creating an engaging opportunity to learn, which will help them reinforce the core concepts. It is up to you to guide them. Allow your students to teach one another.
- slide 5 of 5
Personal experience of the author in classrooms.
Image courtesy of LavaMind