Begin your Esperanza Rising unit by engaging students with an anticipation guide. Allow students to look at the cover of the book and then ask them to respond to the following yes/no anticipation questions:
1) The story takes place in Mexico.
2) The main character knows how to fly.
3) Esperanza does not enjoy being poor.
4) Esperanza and her family will move to Washington.
5) Tío Luis is Esperanza’s favorite uncle.
6) It is okay to deport people because of the way they look.
7) Everyone has a right to be successful.
8) Abuelita’s earrings are a metaphor for life.
9) One problem in the story is the way migrant workers are treated during the Great Depression.
10) The story is narrated from a first person point of view.